Static Bag Testing Services
With electronic components becoming smaller and more sensitive, it’s vital to ensure they are protected against ESD events including static discharge. According to ANSI/ESD S20.20, “Protective packaging is required to store, transport, and protect ESDS electronic items during all phases of production.” Per the recent 2018 requirements for ANSI/ESD S541, the shielding requirement was updated so the subsequent discharge for the bags should be 20 nanojoules or less. One of the more commonly used bags is a low charging Pink Poly bag. The bags are made of a tinted polyethylene material with an antistatic coating that might wear away. This makes the bag insulative over time, as such, it is no longer compliant to ANSI/ESD S541 recommendations. They are also lacking discharge shielding protection that allows components in the bag to be subject to ESD event damage. Metallized Shielding bags are made from a metalized polyester film and a low charging polyethylene laminate. This film provides the bags with a shielding layer that creates a Faraday cage which protects the ESD-sensitive components in the bag from the chance of ESD event damage. The low charging inner and outer layer of the bag prevent tribocharging from occurring, minimizing the buildup of ESD charges when handling components.
Ever been asked about the shelf life of ESD bags by your quality manager? Maybe it’s an internal quality procedure that is being written and you want to know the manufacturer’s stance on the shelf life of ESD packaging. Well, today we’ll look at the details of ESD Static Control bag storage and the expected shelf life. There are 1000’s of things to consider when we discuss shelf life. Heat, storage rack conditions, how it was transported, and local climate just to name a few, so the key points are:
- Avoid extremes: heat, cold, sunlight, moisture, add controls when possible
- In a controlled environment, our ESD bags have seen 5 yrs. of proven shelf life.
- Follow the FIFO inventory process as a best practice.
- ESD static bag manufacturers that we represent offers a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. Make sure to audit every year or before use as a best practice and assure that your devices receive the best protection.
- If the bags are questionable, recycle the product at your local recycler and order a new lot from Restronics Arizona.